Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) – HS18
SMSTS, a Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) course, is one of the most highly respected qualifications for site managers. Training helps delegates gain an understanding of legal, moral and social responsibilities in respect of health, safety and welfare on construction sites and is aimed at those responsible for the management of construction activities such as construction, building maintenance or facilities management.
“Well delivered and engaging training with opportunity for hands on practice. Trainer was very experienced and knowledgeable.”
“Excellent course, it has made me more confident.”
“Trainer was very good, engaging and confident and had good personal stories. I would now feel more confident in an emergency/first aid situation”
Why do our customers choose us?
Our courses are delivered by knowledgeable and enthusiastic consultants and trainers all of whom considerable, hands on practical experience which is reflected in our grounded, pragmatic approach.
Teaching 18,000 delegates a year, Acorn Health & Safety offer training to individuals, groups and entire staff teams. We are committed to providing excellent training delivered in a relaxed, yet informative style.
How do we approach SMSTS Training?
The SMSTS course is an official CITB course at a location in Bristol and covers:
- Intro to Health & Safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
- Overviews and explanations of relevant construction activity legislation
- Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements
- Risk assessment and ‘principles of prevention’
- Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
- Management of Contractors and effective communicating
- Production of site activity instructions, development of ’safe systems of work’ and permit systems
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error and motivating safety behaviour
- Recognition of an organisation’s duties and responsibilities and those of the Managers, Supervisors and Operatives
- Planning for health and safety within the context of a project
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Mandatory entry requirements:
- You will need to provide a valid photo ID on the first day of the course, such as a copy of your passport or driving licence. See accepted list of ID.
- To be able to read, write and understand English to a good level. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
- If you need to re-sit the test, you must do this within 90 days of the original course date at an additional charge
If you are a Levy Paying CITB member you may be eligible to apply for a grant for your training of upto £250. Please at the time of booking supply your Levy number and company name. Claim’s can not be submitted after the course has been completed. Click here for info on CITB Levy grants.
This course is of 5 (five) days duration.
What should you expect from Acorn Health & Safety?
Delegates will be provided with a variety of printed course materials including workbooks and handouts. On successful completion of this course, delegates will receive CITB registration and the Site Managers Safety Training Scheme course certificate, valid for five years.
Post course our team of consultants and trainers are available to answer any questions you might have. You’ll also receive an automatic reminder prior to course expiry.
‘SMSTS course’ is just one of over 60 courses on offer. Acorn Health & Safety provides training and consultancy in first aid, fire safety, food safety, manual handling, healthcare training and health and safety included in our rolling programme of ‘open courses’ which are particularly suited for individuals or organisations that only have a few delegates or those looking to release small groups of staff at a time.
Please contact us to discuss all of your training needs so we can advise the most suitable and cost effective solution.
For other courses relevant to your industry or sector please see our industry information page, alternatively we have found that people attending this course also attend:
Not every course can be 'off the shelf'.
Our tailored health and safety training is aimed at meeting the needs of customers who have specific subjects to be covered within their health and safety staff training.
Find out more
Open Course Diary
Aimed at businesses and individuals requiring specific training or those with only a few members of staff to train our open courses run regularly throughout the year and cover a variety of different subjects.