Moving and Handling Train the Trainer Course – MH04
Endorsed by the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT), the moving and handling train the trainer course is a widely recognised and highly regarded trainer’s qualification within the healthcare industry. This course is for those with a responsibility for welfare and training of staff with regards to the moving and handling of people.
“I enjoyed this training and trainer was very good. She explained well and made me understand the importance of the evacuation chair. 10/10”
AT, Fresenius, March 2018
Why do our customers choose us?
Established over 20 years ago and highly regarded amongst the health and social care community, our flagship course is regularly attended by Health & Social care professionals such as care home staff, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, ergonomists, moving & handling specialists, paramedics, tutors and lecturers, registered nurses, care managers and equipment manufacturers and has established Acorn Health & Safety as one of the leading providers of training to the healthcare and social care industry.
This course is aimed at support staff whose main role is the handling of people and is designed specifically for the workplace service provider be it residential, nursing or home based and for those involved in the education and teaching of others in a wide variety of environments (Delegates who successfully complete the course can then train their staff in the manual handling of people).
This six day course will provide you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to train others in the moving and handling of people and in the conducting of manual handling risk assessments.
This course can host a maximum of 10 delegates per course and previous attendees on this course include:
- Local Authorities
- Private Care Homes
- Acute NHS Trusts
- Care Agencies
To teach people handling trainers how to show their trainees how to:
- Move and handle people in a way that provides greater comfort and dignity to the client
- Understand manual handling legislation as it applies to Healthcare
- Move and handle people in a way that requires the least amount of effort
- How to conduct a personal risk assessment for clients
- Gain a better understanding of spinal mechanics
- How to look after their own back and that of their clients
- How to safely move people with and without the use of specialist equipment
As a result, by the end of the course your key staff will have the competence to deliver up to date people handling training and will be able to:
- demonstrate a sound knowledge of current and relevant legislation that affects you, your job, your employer and your colleagues;
- understand the workings of the spine and how to reduce spinal injury;
- demonstrate an appreciation of the biomechanic principles;
- demonstrate an appreciation of ergonomics
- risk assess patient handling;
- demonstrate a knowledge of ‘controversial techniques’;
- demonstrate up-to-date practical skills in the moving and handling of clients;
- convey manual handling knowledge and skills to others with confidence.
Annual Health and Safety Executive (HSE) statistics regularly indicate that large numbers (thousands) of staff across the health care services, social care sectors and education settings experience injury and/or ill-health as a result of hazardous manual handling activities.
As an employer, delegates who pass this course benefit you as:
- Risks are reduced to employees and clients
- The risks of prosecution or litigation are reduced
- Effective training and supervising of staff as well as provision of well-maintained equipment will help to reduce hazards
- Sickness and injury levels should reduce, as should incident and accident levels
- You should see safer working practices, and are less likely to have a legal claim made against you in court
- An improvement in the quality of the care you provide.
Delegates are expected to do several pieces of work between the course days. They have to prepare and deliver:
- A risk assessment presentation
- A Training package to include production of training materials
- A practical skill training session
They are also required to do some additional reading of their course manual to ensure they can achieve the required standard for the written assessment.
Our courses are delivered by knowledgeable and enthusiastic moving and handling consultants and trainers all of whom hold adult teaching qualifications supported by a professional qualification and considerable, hands on practical experience in a wide variety of health and social care settings, this is reflected in our grounded, pragmatic approach.
Teaching 18,000 delegates a year, Acorn Health & Safety offer training to individuals, groups and entire staff teams. We are committed to providing excellent training delivered in a relaxed, yet informative style.
How do we approach the moving and handling train the trainer course?
Trainers employ a wide range of teaching techniques to meet the needs of individual delegates attending courses. This course programme, endorsed by Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) follows a set syllabus and contains the most up to date information available including:
- Bio-mechanics and back care
- Developing training programmes
- Risk assessment
- Inanimate object handling
- Client handling techniques
- Project work
- Hoisting and other mechanical aids
- A relevant healthcare qualification, e.g. nurse, health worker, care assistant or experience in working in a healthcare/social care setting
- A prior practical understanding of people moving
- A keen interest in patient or resident care
- Delegates must have a good understanding of spoken and written English
- Owing to the practical nature of this course a basic level of general fitness is required. Delegates must be physically fit enough to carry out the procedures and demonstrate basic people handling techniques detailed in the course outline
- Delegates will be expected to engage in several group activities and will be evaluated on their knowledge and ability to train others.
- Delegates will have a project to complete as part of this course and present Practical Skill Training Assessment (assessed using Video analysis).
Should you have any questions relating to the accessibility of this course please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
This course is of 6 (six) days duration for a maximum of 10 delegates per day.
We offer this course regularly as an open course at our training centre in Warmley, Bristol and can also deliver it as an in house course at a national venue of your choice (subject to the venue having available equipment necessary to complete the training).
What should you expect from Acorn Health & Safety?
All delegates on the course receive a course pack including a variety of printed course materials, workbooks, handouts and a CD of the course presentation.
On successful completion of this course, delegates will receive a printed certificate endorsed by RCOT, enabling them to carry out their own staff manual handling training.
This course requires delegates to attend an annual update course to keep up to update on new practices and legislation.
Post course, our team of consultants and trainers are available to answer any questions you might have. You’ll also receive an automatic reminder prior to course expiry.
Our ‘moving and handling train the trainer’ course is just one of over 60 courses we offer. Acorn Health & Safety provides training and consultancy in first aid, fire safety, food safety, manual handling, healthcare training and health and safety.
Our ‘in-house’ course programmes are the most cost effective option if you’ve a number of staff requiring training, and in many cases can be adapted to include reference to local policy, practice and documentation. These courses can be delivered either at any suitable venue or you can hire our purpose-built training centre located in Warmley, Bristol, whichever is best suited to your needs.
We also run a rolling programme of ‘open courses’ which are particularly suited for individuals or organisations that only have a few delegates or those looking to release small groups of staff at a time.
Please contact us to discuss all of your training needs so we can advise the most suitable and cost effective solution.
Not every course can be 'off the shelf'.
Our tailored health and safety training is aimed at meeting the needs of customers who have specific subjects to be covered within their health and safety staff training.
Find out more
Open Course Diary
Aimed at businesses and individuals requiring specific training or those with only a few members of staff to train our open courses run regularly throughout the year and cover a variety of different subjects.