Covid Risk Assessments
Ensuring compliance with your legal duties. Reassuring your employees and others you have contact with in business.
“I just wanted to ensure we sent a thank you to Matthew who did our first aid course. We were fully booked with attendees, many of whom dread a day on a course like this, but they all stated how great it was and how much they learned. The instructor was patient and happily went into situations we deal with specifically enabling them to feel more confident in real life situations we do face as a venue. Thank you again, I would highly recommend you.”
VW, Clevedon Hall, February 2019
Why do our customers choose us?
Throughout the Coronavirus Pandemic, we have advised on and supported a variety of businesses carry out COVID-19 specific risk assessments.
This has included:
- Risk assessments for large financial organisations
- Manufacturing organisations
- Our own training and development activities
- Businesses working in COVID-19 positive environments
- First aid
- Training provision in the NHS
- Retailer outlets
- Assessments for organisation collecting equipment, to support home working
One thing we have learnt is that no two businesses, or their staff teams are the same, nor are the control measures that need to be put in place.
Each individual working environment brings it own, often unique challenges. Space and the ability to maintain social distancing throughout the working day are often top of the list. With many staff teams working effectively from home, those returning to the workplace are in some cases naturally anxious about coming back and in some cases now experiencing similar anxieties / concerns those many of us went through at the beginning of lockdown.
Steps taken to help control the risk of Coronavirus in the workplace are wide and varied, and each considered separately depending on a number of factors.
Each assessment focuses on four key areas:
- Home working
- The workplace
- Working in other places
Eight additional business specific categories (where relevant):
- Factories and Warehouses
- Restaurants and Takeaways
- Transport and vehicles
This information is based on our experience, employer’s legal duties, current government guidance, advice and publications from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), industry guidance and similar.
Acorn Health & Safety is a leading provider of health and safety training and consultancy in the South West. Our consultants come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds and have considerable, hands on practical experience, which is reflected in our grounded, pragmatic approach.
How do we support Covid risk assessments?
Our consultants support you with your legal duties to your staff and visitors, ensuring the organisation is safe and free from health and COVID-19 hazards.
- Carry out a risk assessment and take reasonable steps to protect people from harm
- Consider what work activities could result in exposure to the virus?
- Who might be affected (employees, visitors, customers, contractors, people in more vulnerable groups)?
- Eliminate the risk if you can (for example by continuing to work from home) - If the risk cannot be eliminated it must be controlled
You should also:
• Share your findings with employees and others who might require this information
• Provide information, instruction and training where required
• Ensure you have robust reporting procedures in place
• Ensure statutory reporting under RIDDOR if necessary
• Review fire risk assessments if you have made changes to layout of your premises
• Consider making your risk assessment public if you employ more than 50 people
Please contact us to book your Risk Assessment
What should you expect from Acorn Health & Safety?
• An initial conversation and information gathering exercise about the business and its employees
• A visit to your premises and more questions. With your permission we will also often take a few photographs
• A review of that you already have in place, for example home worker checklists and COVID screening tools
• Preparation or a risk assessment that clearly identifies that which you are currently doing, together with any further steps we advise you take
• Consideration of other areas that may be affected by lockdown, COVID-19, or changes to the working environment, for example fire risk assessment, first aid provision and the completion of statutory inspections, servicing, and maintenance
We will assign you a dedicated and competent health and safety professional who will gain an understanding of your needs and be on hand to provide any help, advice or comment you need.
Following any piece of consultancy work we are available by phone or on e-mail, so you can contact us easily, if you need our assistance or further advice.
Whatever your health and safety needs are, our ‘Hassle Free’ retained consultancy service is here to help.
For one-off assessments or, a tailored approach, we offer a wide range of consultancy services speak to our consultants to discuss your needs.
Health and safety for Construction, Building Management and Trades businesses, made ‘Hassle Free’ with our retained consultancy service.